I took it to the sewing shop and had it oiled, cleaned etc and she and I read the manual to learn how to thread it. I do not have the best memories of sewing from when I took home economics in 10th grade and have said "I will never sew". Never, say never! I actually think I could get into this!!! It is amazing how your children expand your horizons and keep you learning new things. Thank you Katherine for having the desire to learn to knit and now to sew too. She is a great knitter and I am LOVING learning to knit along side her. She has all sorts of ideas for sewing projects...aprons for her sisters, quilts for her dolls. Time, if we only had time to keep up with all her ideas!
The girls also made rag dolls this past week. What a fun and super easy project. I had bought a kit when we visited Sutter's Fort last month and once again wasn't too sure about a project like that. I figured we'd get to it sometime this year. Kids sure keep you going though...we are studying Westward Expansion, California History, Gold Rush etc. and they were thrilled to start the book Patty Reed's Doll by which tells the story of the Donner Party. They made their rag dolls one afternoon as I read out loud to them. The girls were able to see Patty Reed's doll which is on display at Sutter's Fort. The story is told through the eyes of her doll. An amazing book that we all enjoyed immensely.
So you must meet Molly (Lizzy's doll) and Cassie (Katherine's doll). They have spent countless hours making beds, bonnets, and dresses for them. Some made by hand, some using the sewing machine. I sewed on eyes, nose, and mouth for each. The kit made it easy, but now I have the pattern and we plan on helping Mary make one this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment